Things to Know
You are eligible to apply for a Student visa to study in the United Kingdom if you are 16 or over and you:
- Have been offered a place on a course by a licenced student sponsor
- Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (this amount may vary depending on your circumstances)
- Can speak, read, write and understand English
- Have consent from your parents if you are 16 or 17
If you are applying from outside of the UK, the earliest you can apply for a student visa is 6 months before your course starts. A decision will usually 3 weeks.
If you are applying from inside the UK, the earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires and your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. A decision will usually take 8 weeks.
The cost of a student visa varies depending on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK:
- Applying from outside the UK: £348 fee
- Applying from inside the UK: £475 fee
In addition, you will have to pay for a healthcare surcharge as part of your application.