[Total: 7   Average: 5/5]

Outline of Spouse Visa

Under Spouse Visa category, you can apply for an entry or leave to remain in the UK. If your partner is a citizen, has a permanent residence in the UK or has a refugee status, you can apply for a spouse visa. This visa allows you to stay in the UK and you can be work permitted depending on your circumstances.

Things To Know

Before you apply for Spouse Visa, there are certain things that you need to know. First of all, you must be in a civil partnership or are married with your partner in a scheme that UK recognises or planning to get married or be in a civil partnership within 6 months of your arrivals to the UK. The next thing to pay attention for is that you must be in a relationship for at least 2 years. There are more conditions to meet to be able to apply for Spouse Visa. For more information, please contact us.

Who Can Apply?

The applicants must prove that they can financially support themselves and their dependants during their intended period of stay in the UK. Also, the applicants must prove English proficiency. In case they do not meet these requirements, they can still apply for a stay, leave to remain or extension of their stay in the UK. If they have a child who has lived in the UK for 7 years and it is not possible for them to leave the UK. The same rule applies to you and your partner as well. In addition, if it comprises a breach of your human rights to live outside of the UK and if you can prove this, you still might be eligible to apply for Spouse Visa in the UK. This visa category, as the other sub-categories of the Family Visas, requires assessment of your circumstances. There might be exceptional situation which can still allow you to apply for a visa under this category.

What do we offer?

We offer free initial consultation and expert assessment of your unique situation and advise you accordingly. You can contact us through our email addresses, phone numbers and contact form on our website. If you require a call back, you can let us know through the same channels and one of our advisers will contact you shortly.

Spouse Visa Update

COVID 19: SPOUSE VISA Exemptions

The Covid-19 pandemic has affected significantly our lives and we understand this situation may be extremely stressful for individuals pursuing this type of visa, if they suffered a loss of income. In fact, one of the main eligibility requirements is that they need to meet specific financial conditions. The income must be of at least: £18,600.


The home office updated their policy to provide more flexibility allowing who have experienced a loss of income and is unable to meet the minimum financial threshold to apply.

The temporary relaxation of the rules for who suffered a loss of income because of the effects of the pandemic for the period between March 2020 and 31st of July 2020. If the applicant and their spouse/partner suffered a loss of income they can:

  1. If employed, they can rely on their financial circumstances for the period before the loss of income; provided that it was met at least 6months up to March 2020. If the income was reduced because furloughed, the Home Office will consider the income as they were receiving 100% of the salary.
  2. If self-employed, the Home Office will disregard any loss for the period between 31st of March 2020 and 31st of July 2020.

In addition, the guidance states that the Home Office will consider applications where the requirements are not met.


Since the applicants may have issues in obtaining the necessary documents since some services are suspended the guidance confirms that the caseworker has discretion to exempt the applicants from specific documents if they are unable to provide it due to COVID-19. However, the caseworker may ask to submit a specified evidence after the application is submitted.


If the applicant needs to demonstrate the English language requirement by taking a test from approved centre and this was closed or you were not able to travel to it due to the coronavirus, you may apply for an exemption from the English language test.

If you require an expert advice, do not hesitate to contact our team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *