Click to rate this post!
[Total: 10 Average: 5]

The Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa



The Hong Kong BN(O) visa will provide eligible applicants with the ability to enter or remain in the UK for up to 5 years.

Applicants and their family members will be able to live, work and study in the UK but will not have access to public funds. After these 5 years, successful applicants will have the choice to apply for indefinite leave to remain and, after a further 12 months, you will be able to apply for citizenship.

Who can apply?

Anyone who is a BN(O) status holder and normally resides in Hong Kong can apply for the Hong Kong BN(O) visa. Applicants do not need a valid BN(O) passport to demonstrate eligibility and you don’t need to request a new passport if it has expired or been lost.

You will need a valid travel document and you can use a valid Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport or EEA passport to travel if you have one.

Family members who normally live with a BN(O) status holder may also be able to apply. This includes:

  • a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • children (under the age of 18)
  • adult children born on or after 1 July 1997 (and their spouse, or child under the age of 18)
  • other family members (parents, grandparents, brother, sister, son or daughter) in exceptional circumstances where there is a high level of dependency

Residency requirements: must demonstrate that you live in Hong Kong

Financial requirements: need to show that you can support yourself and dependents for at least 6 months when in the UK through, for example, money in your bank account, income.

How to apply

There are 2 application options available:

  1. If you have a BN(O), HKSAR, or EEA biometric passport, you can apply using an app in a fully digital way from 23 February 2021.
  2. From 31 January 2021, all BN(O) status holders and their dependants can apply on GOV.UK.


The Hong Kong BN(O) visa will cost £180 per person for 30 months or £250 per person for the 5-year visa.

You will also need to apply the Immigration Health Surcharge (HIS) in full.

For each adult this will be:

  • £1,560 if you’re applying to stay for 30 months
  • £3,120 if you’re applying to stay for 5 years

For each child under the age of 18, this will be:

  • £1,175 if you’re applying to stay for 30 months
  • £2,350 if you’re applying to stay for 5 years

What You Can And Cannot Do With This Visa

You can:

  • work (except as a professional sportsperson)
  • study (including applying for higher education courses)
  • use the NHS

You cannot:

  • claim public funds (social welfare benefits)


Your children will be able to:

  • attend school if they are under 18 (all state schools are free)
  • attend education and training if they are aged 16 to 19

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *