Click to rate this post!
[Total: 62 Average: 4.9]


This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer.

Who can apply?

In order to be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa you must meet the below mentioned requirements:


To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  1. Work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office
  2. Must have a certificate of sponsorship from your employer which includes information about the role you have been offered in the UK
  3. Do a job that is on the list of eligible occupations
  4. Be paid a minimum salary (this is dependent on the type of work you do)

Knowledge of English

You must be able to speak, read, write and understand English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.


Companies that applicants are planning to work for, should have a Sponsor Licence issued by the Home Office. There is no restriction on the matter of ownership of the company. Applicants can subsequently buy company’s shares and become a shareholder. There are also no rules to prevent applicants from owning the company. However, if that’s the case, it must be proven the job vacancy is genuine and has not been created just for the applicants.

Additional Information

Your visa can last for up to 5 years before you need to extend it. You will need to apply to extend or update your visa when it expires or if you change jobs or employer. You can apply for an extension as many times as you like as long as the abovementioned eligibility requirements are satisfied.

You must apply for a Skilled Worker visa online. You can apply from both inside and outside of the UK. You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK.

Once you have submitted your application, proven your identity and provided the relevant documents you will usually get a decision within 3 weeks if you are applying from outside the UK or 8 weeks if you are applying from inside the UK.

When applying for a Skilled Worker Visa you, your partner or children will each need to pay:

  • Application fees
  • A Healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay
  • And prove you have enough personal savings

2 Comments to “ Skilled Worker Visa”

  1. Anne says :Reply

    Good afternoon I’m a Kenyan citizen currently looking for an employment opportunity at the United kingdom, having worked in different private companies in different positions I managed to study diploma in accounts.Im looking forward for a positive recommendation from you. Thanks

    1. Admin says :Reply

      We do just Immigration Law.Sorry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.