[Total: 0   Average: 0/5]


Britain has left the European Union, consequently, as of January 1st 2021, the right of EU citizens to work and live in the UK has been abolished.

EU citizens can enter the UK without a visa, for short 90-day visits with their EU passports. However, those who wish to work and settle in the UK are required to apply for a visa.

The applicable visas can be categorised under three main headings: Investor Visa, Worker Visa and Talent Visa.

1. Investor Visas

- Sole Representative Visa

If you are the owner of your own business and intend to open a branch in the UK, then you can do so with the Representative Visa. When applying to open a UK branch you must assign a senior employee in your company as a company representative.

However, it should be noted that business owner cannot apply under this visa category.

The employee who will acquire the visa, as a representative, will be allowed to settle in England. The individual must not own more than 50% of the current company and must also be a shareholder. It is sufficient to demonstrate the volume and potential of your business and to prove that your employee is competent to act as a representative.

With this visa, the representative can also bring his family to England. After 5 years, the applicant is eligible to apply for British citizenship and one year later indefinite residency.

- Start-up and Innovator Visas

The Start-up visa is suited to applicants who want to start a business in the UK but do not have a large amount of investment as there is no requirement to put a certain amount of capital. However, it is necessary to introduce an innovative business into the sector.

For this reason, the business plan is examined by the authorised offices determined by the Home Office. If they conclude that the applicant’s business will bring about innovation to the relevant sector, then a 2-year visa is issued. After these 2 years, the visa cannot be extended.

If the applicant establishes their business and succeeds within 2 years and wants to continue their right of residency, they must switch to the Innovator visa type at the end of 2 years. The Innovator Visa type requires an investment of £50,000. After 5 years in total with the applicant is entitled to apply for British citizenship and, one year later, indefinite residency.

Individuals with a capital of £50,000 can also apply for an Innovator visa directly but must also introduce an innovative business into the relevant sector With the Innovator visa, the applicant is entitled to apply for indefinite residency after 3 years.

Evidently, the Start-up visa type is suited to those who have an innovative business idea but fail to meet the £50,000 capital required for the Investor visa. Such capital can be earned within the two years in order for them to then apply for an Investor visa and continue operating their business.

2. Worker Visa

England has made it easier, for those who have received job offers from UK businesses, to apply for a Worker visa by switching to the newly established points-based system.

If your employer holds a sponsorship licence and is willing to sponsor you then it is possible for you to apply for a Worker visa. This process, previously limited to Tier 2 and similar visa types, has eased requirements thus facilitating company’s ability to obtain sponsorship licences and employ individuals from abroad.

The relevant criteria for a Worker visa includes training in the field and the ability to speak English at level B2.

If you wish to acquire a Worker Visa and have a business that is willing to sponsor you, please contact us for further details and assistance.

3. Global Talent Visa

This visa is applicable to those who have talent and a highly regarded reputation in specific fields which includes, arts, science and many more.

Once an application is submitted it is reviewed by an authorised office designated by the Home Office who examines whether you have the necessary skills. Once approved, you can acquire a work permit with a Talent visa, or you can apply for indefinite residency after 3 years.

If you intend to reside in the UK, you can contact us for further information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.